Assistance Program

Fairfield County public assistance and aid.

If you live in Fairfield County, Bridgeport, or another nearby town and have a low income, you may be able to get help from the state of Connecticut or the federal government. There are several government programs that offer financial assistance. Some programs are offered by the state of Connecticut, while others are offered at the federal government level. A major focus of Fairfield County is on making sure that families have enough to eat and can see a doctor when they need to. The county and state will also help make sure that people have a place to live.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is available to help eligible low-income households purchase food. This federal government program provides eligible households in Fairfield with food vouchers and/or debit cards. This means that it is usually offered as part of a package deal that also includes training in how to do the job.

The State of Connecticut provides food, educational services, and training to people who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance or General Assistance. Able-bodied adults who participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) will be required to participate in an employment and training program.

The food assistance program helps people buy groceries, fresh food, and baby formula. In Fairfield County, Connecticut, families that are enrolled will use an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card to do their shopping. This card is accepted at most major retail food and grocery stores in southern and western Connecticut. The amount of SNAP benefits and public aid that a household can receive is based on their income, the number of people in the household, and certain deductible expenses.

The Elderly Referral Services and Hispanic Outreach provides counseling, information and other benefits to elderly Hispanic residents in Bridgeport and Fairfield County. This is a phone number.

The Community Development Block Grant Program is a government initiative that is often run by community action agencies. The program provides funding for community projects that aim to improve the quality of life for residents. The organization helps residents by giving them information, managing their case, helping them get public benefits, and finding them a new place to live.

The Social Services Block Grant helps Bridgeport, Connecticut residents by providing referral services, emergency aid, and case management.

Healthy Start is a health care provider. The main goal of this federal government grant program is to improve the health of mothers and babies by reducing the rate of premature births, infant mortality and low birth weights. This public health care program provides services such as care coordination, financial aid, focused health-related case management, and more to eligible pregnant women and children up to three years old in the Southwestern area of Connecticut. The phone number is (203) 576-8181 or (203) 576-7458.

The Fairfield County Social Services provides financial assistance to adults with low income and low assets through the state of Connecticut General Assistance program. This program is for people who do not qualify for other federal or state assistance programs. Cash assistance will not be given to those who are able to work. The amount that can be given to those who are not able to work is usually only a few hundred dollars a month.

The Department of Social Services is in charge of helping with cremation and burial arrangements. The county will pay up to a maximum of $1800 toward the burial, funeral or cremation expenses of any very low income individual. You do not have to be a legal resident or citizen to do this.

The Women, Infants & Children (WIC) program provides nutrition and food resources to pregnant and postpartum women, as well as children up to the age of five. The WIC program is for residents of Fairfield County, which includes Bridgeport, Stratford, Easton, Fairfield, and Monroe. To reach someone by phone, dial either 203-576-8072 or 203-576-8074.

The Temporary Family Assistance (First) program provides cash assistance to eligible families for up to 21 months. Aid is for families with very low incomes and children under the age of 18, or pregnant women. To receive assistance, participants must sign up for and attend a Department of Labor-managed job search, two- or four year degree program, or job training.

There are other programs in Fairfield County including help with child support, repairing heating systems, providing financial assistance to disabled adults, and programs to help the homeless and those with emergency housing needs. There is also additional financial assistance available for aged, blind, and disabled residents. There are various medical assistance programs available that can help with health insurance, Medicaid, and various Medicare Savings Programs.

You can reach the Fairfield County Department of Social Services by calling 203-256-3166.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *