Assistance Program

Douglas County St. Vincent de Paul emergency assistance.

The St. Vincent de Paul of Douglas County helps families in Omaha and other towns who are going through a difficult time. There is help for people who are unemployed or underemployed, sick, unable to afford good healthcare, or homeless. The Society of Saint Vincent and its member churches provide free food, clothing, housing, or help to those who cannot pay their bills on time.

Case managers and volunteers work with people who are struggling to help them transition to a more independent life. This is provided after the emergency has been taken care of. Some of the ways we can support our community members include helping them get more education, connecting them with resources that can improve their financial situation, coordinating their health care, and even attending to their spiritual well-being. St. Vincent provides loving, Christ-centered case management and mutual accountability to help people in need. Clients are offered a helping hand out of a crisis situation in a way that considers all aspects of their life.

One service that is only available during Christmas provides disadvantaged parents in Omaha the opportunity to provide their children with gifts as well as small toys during a financial hardship. Parents can select new gifts at Christmas time. Churches in the community are looking for donations of presents, clothing items, stocking stuffers, hot holiday meals, boxes and bows.

Each Christmas, St. Vincent of Douglas County provides new toys to hundreds of children from low income families. Many families and businesses contribute to this program. Toys can be donated at the main office, churches, or malls that participate. Eligible families from Douglas County can get help from Family Assistance Services.

There are services available to help households that are struggling. Clients may lose their homes or apartments, or they may be homeless. Specialists help people who are in difficult situations to find a way to improve their situation.

The Douglas County St. Vincent de Paul provides assistance to those in need, by assessing their individual needs and strengths, in order to help them transition to permanent housing. Other support that is given includes helping to research resources for housing and preventing eviction, advocating for families, helping to plan goals, supporting families to maintain their housing, and monitoring progress.

Saint Vincent of Omaha offers direct financial assistance in some cases. There are references to government grant programs that may provide funding for this project. This may also be an option in some cases. This means that along with receiving financial aid, you will also have access to services that can help you improve your job skills and work with a case manager. This means that if you are a part of the Douglas County St. Vincent de Paul organization, you may be able to get help with things like finding a place to live, or getting referrals to local organizations that can help you.

The government offers a financial aid program for people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. It will quickly build new houses and provide stability. The Emergency Solutions Grant is a resource that is federally funded.

Other areas of help may include legal assistance, access to social services, and job training. The Saint Vincent de Paul of Douglas County will help the person with budgeting, job searches and case management. The income requirement for potential applicants is 30% of the area median income.

Volunteers from St. Vincent can help people sign up for the Weatherization Assistance Program. This service from the Department of Energy uses diagnostic technology to figure out how much energy a qualified house could save by making conservation improvements. This will help keep a home warm during the cold winter months in Douglas County.

-Caulking and sealing cracks and holes -Insulating attics, walls, and floors -Weatherstripping doors and windows -Installing storm windows -Replacing energy-wasting refrigerators and electric water heaters

The state of Nebraska, the US Department of Energy (DOE), and the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) all provide funding for weatherization. The low income households that meet the predetermined income guidelines can get this program for free. The Douglas County St. Vincent’s staff may have referrals for this program. The weatherization process makes homes more secure from the elements and helps conserve energy, which allows households to use their income for other basic living necessities such as food, medicine, clothing, and transportation.

The Saint Vincent of Douglas County is a part of the National Family Caregiver Program. This program provides low-income seniors with respite care and access to additional resources.

For income qualified senior citizens and the elderly, assistance offered may include providing information about government grants that can help pay rent or utility payments. There are also resources available for purchasing medication, providing food, and medical equipment, depending on the client’s individual needs.

There are also church pantries that are part of the charity that give out free food. In Douglas County, a number of meals have been provided to low-income senior citizens and their spouses aged 60 years and older. In order to qualify for financial aid, you must meet certain income requirements and provide documentation of your need for assistance.

This means that the aid is available in many different places throughout the county, not just in one specific place. A dietician from St. Vincent partner groups plans and prepares meals with the help of dedicated volunteers.

There is another transportation program that the agency offers. This service is for Omaha residents who are 65 years or older and have trouble getting to their medical appointments. It provides them with roundtrip transportation to their appointments within the city.

A formal application, which may include a home visit, is required. To speak with someone about getting help, call 402-346-5445.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *